Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Hello, Hello

1/21/10


I went to an Ethiopian modern wedding reception on Sunday night with Misrak. It was more or less the same as an American reception. Yesterday was The Ethiopian Epiphany “Timket” Misrak, Meaza, T’sehey, and I went to the Orthodox Church in our area and marched with thousands of Ethiopians to another Orthodox Church.

It took us about two hours. We were in a sea of people wearing mostly white cultural clothes. I was the only white person there, but it didn’t seem to be intrusive. People here are really good and respectful here in Dire Dawa.

Police made a barrier to keep people from the popes and bishops leading the crowd. They were highly decorated. One group had multi colored umbrellas with reflective mirrors decorating them. Another group were tribal dancing with wooden staffs. It was really a great spectacle to witness.

Afterwards we stopped at The Jungle to have some juice and cool off. I had spaghetti at Misrak’s house, went back to my room and had a nice nap. Mesfin called and invited me out for dinner and we met up near the school he works at.

We talked about family, goals, and life in general. He is the youngest (27) of five children. A sister (married to a British guy and living in Dubai) a brother that died of Leukemia, and two other brothers (one married, and one still living at home with his mom.) His dad died of a failed liver.

I woke up yesterday and realized that the bimbi’s (mosquitoes) had eaten me raw. I look like I have chicken pox on my arms, chest, and waist. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I spent most of the day reading and finishing up a few art projects I started. Had my Amharic lesson and learned a few more words. Had dinner with Mesfin again and now here I am writing this blog.

The next week or so should be easy going as I have finished most of my duties for HCS. The last project is to hold a Report writing workshop for the staff. I also have to finish up the HCS brochure. Worku put together the picture he wants for the cover I just have to touch it up with Photoshop. Really I think if he were given the opportunity he would make a great architectural artist. I’ve seen some of the models he’s done in his spare time and they’re really impressive for someone with no formal training.

No comments: