Sunday, November 22, 2009

Addis Ababa University


11/22/2009 (or is it 2002?)

I still feel as though I’ve been transported back in time. I literal have if I’m using the Ethiopian calendar. You will not find the Ark of the Covenant here I’m afraid. If it is here it is well hidden. There are a great number of steles here, very old, very beautiful.

Worku says when we are in Harar we will try to find some caves to explore. I was told at the museum Harar has many cave paintings that have yet to be excavated. Why aren’t more archeologists interested in Ethiopia I wonder? Maybe it’s the government; maybe the people don’t want it bothered? I am still in thought about it.

Previously I told you about the ancient things I saw in the Ethiopian National museum in Addis Ababa. Today I visited the University museum in Addis Ababa. The Addis Ababa University was established after Haile Sellassie reign in his very palace. The main building was turned into the museum.

The Suri and Mursi women (I think are south Ethiopia) are the ones who insert the plates in their mouths stretching them for “beauty”. One of the girls at Worku’s family’s house had some tattooing on her face she said were for “beauty.” Most people here do not carry on that tradition though.

Lot’s of people hold hands here while walking. As a sign of friendship you will see Men holding men’s hands, and women holding women’s hands. You will also see donkey’s that appear to have no owner but bundles of items on their backs following each other seemingly to know where they are going.

3,000 Ethiopians are running a marathon today to help raise money for crippled/-disabled people in Ethiopia. The city is very busy.

A young girl cannot manage to hold it. In a frantic squat rushes to get her pants down and sprays pee everywhere. A moment further we pass a toilet store.

I have begun to write poetry again. I’ve had a block since I moved to New Orleans. I have written but nothing I am happy with. Now thoughts are beginning to flow like the Nile.

When I am not creating, or learning, I am dying.

1 comment:

Marc Gunn said...

Glad to hear you're writing again!!! :)