Monday, November 30, 2009

Today is Not Yesterday but the Beginning of Tomorrow


11/29/09

Yesterday Misrak and I hung out most of the day together. Today Brother Simon and I went to buy two goats for a feast tomorrow. He began to bargen with the local Somali for a price. When he gave a price he thought was reasonable, the Somoli merchant said “Are you joking? Maybe you could pay that much during the time of Haile Sellassie, but not now.” He said and we all laughed. It is a Catholic Ethiopian holiday called Abune Endirias (Saint Endirias)

Afterwards Brother Simon, Abba Negesh, and I visited the Mother Teresa Compound. The sisters there take care of the worst of the worst people in Ethiopia. You will find you mentally ill, retarded, and all sorts of damned souls within its walls. There are also a number of children and old people there. I made friends quick with the little children. They all want to touch my skin or hold my hand. When I look at them and smile they give way to a shy face and run away giggling.

I sat and listened for their mass. It was in Amharic so I don’t understand it, but I clapped when people were clapping and managed. I had an itch on my back I could barley reach one of the retarded girls sitting behind me started scratching it for me. I turned to her and said in Amharic “thank you” and he smiled and looked content. In all it was a great experience; talking with the sisters and learning a lot about their daily duties and commitments to the community.

We returned and had lunch. The 93-year-old Bishop likes to talk in French it seems more than in Amharic sometimes. He makes the funniest jokes although I cannot think of them at the moment.


I took a nap after lunch and Misrak came for me at 5pm. We met up with Brother Simon and Abba Negesh and one of the Parish Priests. We all went out for dinner tonight. Dinner was Local beer, Local wine, Raw meat, followed by cooked meat. Ethiopians are REAL meat eaters. We laughed and talked about everything and anything.

Tonight is a big football (soccer) game. I watched until half time before returning to my room. I can hear the whole community as they cheer and boo at different points of the game.

The more I learn of Ethiopia’s rich history, and the previous people in power, the more I think Rastas are a big joke (especially the white Rastas.) Haile Sellassie was not a savior, nor was he a saint. To idolize him is to make yourself one big joke of an idiot’s fart.

I am told that Ethiopians consider themselves separate from the rest of Africa. The only time they will bond with Africa is when there is war against it. Other wise they will refer to themselves simply as “Ethiopians.”

Good night/morning to all…

P.S.

If you have any question please feel free to leave a comment with them and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. If I don’t know the answer I can find out…

One of my friends in Dallas, Texas asked me if they have Toilets and toilet paper? The answer is yes. They have both. Ethiopians keep very clean even with the drought and lack of water.

No question is too ignorant. I know that the media has given us a certain perspective and stereo type, but this is 2009/2010 (Following the Julian Calendar it’s 2002) Ethiopians have access to technology (at least in the cities.) Many youths attend the universities, read and are active in politics. I find my self less alienated. I especially find it very easy to communicate here since everyone speaks English. (okay I lie not everyone.) In that way I am not alone. I am one among many…

No comments: