Wednesday, November 25, 2009

C is for Culture

11/23/09

Today after coffee and a banana Worku and I visited three different catholic churches. The first one was very plain until you got inside and then it was absolutely gorgeous. The other two were not yet finished.

We had an Italian lunch. Ethiopians love Italian food; love it. I had spaghetti with vegetables and Worku had spaghetti with eggs.

Once back at St. Francis I took a nice long nap. Worku woke me up a few hours later and said a long time friend Assegid had invited us to dinner. He took us to a restaurant called “Abisha” This restaurant had probably the most ferangi (foreigner) I’ve seen in one place since I got here (still not many.)

It is a touristy restaurant but great all the same. The meal was excellent! You know when the food is sooo good but you are too full to eat any more but you keep picking at it anyways just to get more of the flavor. Well that was how great it was!

After a traditional Ethiopian dinner the musicians came out and played traditional music. There were female and male singers. Then the dancers came out! Whoa what can I say I was very impressed as they danced different tribal dances that were very energetic!

It’s hard to explain without seeing them with your own eyes the dances. I highly suggest you “you tube” Traditional Ethiopian tribal dancing, or maybe specific tribes like “Oromo”, “Groggy”, or “Tigray” to name a few.

To summarize it the focus on Ethiopian dancing is on the upper chest, shoulders, neck, and head. Some of the movements are very ridged. The two girl dancers each showcased, first relaxing their necks stretching them and then the drum got faster and they swung their heads so fast like they were possessed. I really expected their heads to fly off at any moment.

After all the extravagant dancing the dancers came to dance with some of the audience members. One older man in a business suit gave one of the girls’ 100 Birr (about $10.00) to dance with her. The best of the two guy dancers came to our table. Worku and Assegid laughed and said, “I knew it!” (Luckily thanks to Bemnet and his friends in Dallas, Texas I’ve had practice.) I surprised the hell out of them. They said they were very impressed I didn’t make an ass out of myself like the other white people there. Yeay! HaHa

Anyways we had a great time! What an experience. (By the way Bemnet if you’re reading this I got to hear many silly stories about you growing up tonight ;)

Until tomorrow’s great adventure I bid you good night (or in your case good morning.)

Misty (not Miste which means wife in Amharic.)

No comments: