Friday, November 13, 2009

£ngland

My flight was so early I made the decision not to sleep Wednesday night. Caught a taxi at 4am to the airport. I was really sad to leave Barcelona and the new friends I've made.

Finally in England now. Got in yesterday (Thursday, November 12th 2009) Chris and his brother Peter came to pick me up from the airport. They had a nice big sign with my name on it. ;)

Hauled my luggage to Chris's house and met with the other Peter, his wife Alison, and their two sons. Their youngest son is Deaf and has a cochlear implant. They use both sign and talking with him.

I am learning BSL fast. Christopher and I took a walk around the neighborhood and to the ocean. The ocean is very close to the house I'd say a 5 min walk. South End is very nice. The houses are very eloquent. We did our point and sign to learn new signs and i showed Christopher the sign in ASL so we could compare similarities and differences.

There are a few signs that are the same or very close to it. How ever it's they signs that have the same shape but different meanings that throw me off. Especially for example: The sign for "Where" in ASL, is the sign for "What" in BSL. This also goes for the sign "What" in ASL is the sign for "Where" in BSL.

So, Peter and Alison are head of a baptist church and last night we had dinner and met friends of theirs Rachel and Tim. They also have two sons. Their oldest son has cerebralposly. Dinner was great! We had "bangers and mash with old mans ale" sweet sausages, carrots, green beans, mash potatoes, brown gravy, and ale. For desert chocolate cake with berries and tea.

Today went with Rachel to visit a castle (or what's left of it) Hadleigh Castle a stone 13th century keep and bailey fortress, founded by Hubert de Burgh. In the 14th century. Built in 1213 King Edward III remodelled the castle. It over looks mostly farm land, and is now owned by The Salvation Army. Inside the nearby Salvation Army we had coffee and tarts.

We are now back at Rachel's for her son's music therapy while I type out this blog.

No comments: